I’ve already signed up for A Round of Words in 80 Days again (man do I love this writing challenge!). I adore it, truly, but I’m nothing if not in love with blogging events. 😀
Kat, a very awesome friend from the Insanowrimo Facebook group (the San Antonio NaNoWriMo peeps) posted several writing opportunities this month.
NaNoWriMo’s group has a JaNoWriMo going on. I already said I was in there. She also posted a link to something called 500 Words.
- Write 500 words per day, every day during the month of January.
- You can write more if you want, but 500 words is the minimum.
- Don’t edit. Just write.
- If you miss a day, pick up where you left off. Don’t make up for lost days.
- Encourage, don’t criticize (unless explicitly invited to do so).
- Blogging counts, but email does not.
- All of this is completely free.
How it works
- Leave a comment on this post.
- Add your blog to the linkup below (if you’re a blogger).
- Write every day, and record your progress (I recommend using Lift for this).
- Join the Facebook group for accountability and encouragement. You can also tweet your progress with the hash tag #my500words.
- Sign up for email updates (below) to get free writing tips and prompts via email.
- At the end of January, we’ll evaluate to see what worked and what didn’t. I may even highlight a few success stories.
So I’m in. But it’s like this. I’m in for an independent project under a genre (or subgenre) I’m not comfortable writing. This is in addition to my regular deadline stuff.
So my 500 words a day challenge is: Heartbreak Ridge
It’s my first contemporary romance since 2007. Since contemporary is a struggle for me, this challenge is perfect for it. If I manage 500 words a day, by the end of the month I’ll have 15,000 words. Two months and I’ll have a decent length novella. At three months I’ll have a short novel. So by the end of April, I’ll have a print-length novel to polish up and submit just in time for Loose Id’s “Homecoming” special call for submission.
There you have it. It also happens to be on my New Year’s projected projects. This works out so well. So tonight I’ll be plotting Heartbreak Ridge while finishing up a novella that’s due to my editor.
Tomorrow’s agenda (or later today, actually, since it’s the 2nd of January) is edits on Thunder and Roses. The kids start school again in four days so my schedule will rearrange itself Saturday and Sunday this week. Because of this, I need to have T&R’s edits complete by Friday night, if possible.
I may also have an announcement come Monday. Keep your eyes peeled. 😀