I spent my younger writing days absorbing everything thrown my way and comparing everything I did to others. Some told me if I wrote more than 500 words a day, it was crap (others said 1k, some said 250). Other people said if I didn’t write 5k a day I wasn’t trying hard enough.
Balancing real life and your writing life is unique to each person. The person who writes 5k a day may have to spend three days editing that 5k. The person who writes 500 words a day may do so without taking any breaks for the entire year. We can’t compare ourselves to others in a creative endeavor and hope to stay on track.
I lost my focus this week. It bummed me out so much I buried my head in a hole and tried to keep myself distracted by other things. Which kept me from writing and created a guilt cycle. LOL.
I made a promise to myself that I would post my bad weeks along with the good ones so I can be honest with you and myself about my writing progress. So here we are, a less than stellar week. 🙂 The sour lemons I came across will be a kickass hard lemonade by this week’s end. 😀
We have a week and a half left in October so if you’re a Last Chancer like me, let’s march through the week and a half to reach our goals. I know it takes me 1-2 hours to get 1k written. If I can dedicate 4-6 hours per day on one manuscript, I’ll be done with it before NaNoWriMo begins. *fingers crossed* If I can’t, then I just deal.
Goals last week (Sunday to Saturday):
- Three short stories for That Magic Touch. Each story will be an experiment I’m doing where I’ll sell a small collection of shorts stories for 99 cents and give the readers a chance to pick what I work on next. – Got NIL done on this one. I am totally bummed about it.
- 10k on Shift the Night – I’m 2k shy of this goal, but I’m glad I got as much done as I did.
- Feral Hunger moves to the back burner until Shift the Night is done. – Still simmering.
- Dragons Never Lie I’m not sure what I want to do with this one this week. Everything I’m working on is pretty dark so I might need to lighten up a bit. – Never made it past Shift the Night’s goal.
- Format and upload Ravenous – Didn’t happen.
Because I didn’t reach most of my goals, they’re still on the list for this week. I have to get them all done.
- The Captain’s Woman: Co-Written book I started years ago. My partner and I just picked it back up again and I’ve got a chapter to finish. – Finished a chapter on it. Will send it to my writing partner this weekend for her next round.
- Organize my new cramped office space. My research materials take up a lot of surface area. I didn’t realize how much until I had to pack it all into one tall bookshelf. Argh. – Started on this and it’s looking so much better
- Make PDF copies of the two workshops I attended last month. The steampunk one was INCREDIBLE. So many thoughts racing around in my mind. 😀 – All PDF’s made
- Make sure I stop by and give you guys some serious love! It’s the start of the 4th Quarter and I’m so ready to truck along with you all. – Catching up for the past week!
Things that happened this week:
- A publisher showed huge interest in the Dark Talisman series so my co-author and I pulled it off the shelves to do up a requested submission package. The beautiful part about self publishing is that putting it back up for sale takes little time. More information on that in the future.
- I lost my focus. Argh.
- I overdid some manual labor last week so I’m still suffering from serious pain. It really sucks. I won’t go into detail except to say I can’t haul around 100+ lbs on my back any more.
- Virtual harassment. I’ve drawn the attention of an individual who is going through some fascinating and scary hoops to let me know he’s always watching me. The guy (if he is a guy) freaked me out a bit yesterday by leaving fourteen comments on this blog (and a few on Facebook). I’ve blocked his IP address and am so thankful I have comments on moderation. It’s been six months now since his first contact. While he hasn’t directly threatened me, he’s shown some crazy possessive intentions. Weird. People. To date he’s created multiple Facebook accounts, hit me up on twitter, and now here. I’ve blocked him every step of the way. It feels weird to be cornered in such a large virtual world. Anyway, I let it get to me, but that’s not my style. So it’s back to it.
I’m part of a fantastic group called A Round of Words in 80 Days, and if you’d like to see how everyone else is doing, check out the list HERE.
Would you like to be a part of our writing challenge? Check out the rules HERE.
Keep Writing and see you Wednesday!