Crisis Averted. Work week triaged. LOL. Things since Wednesday have been a whirlwind of crazy. Between helping a friend brainstorm ways to write around a broken arm, both boys coming down with fevers and aches on the same day, and insanity exploding all over my house in the form of drama usually only found in a soap opera, I managed to squeeze in writing and edits. Barely. Add to that my CP’s craziness (check out Cynnara’s post here), and we’re wondering if there’s something in the air (or water, or with the moon, etc.).
When things go south, you’ve got to take a look at your writing and decide which is the most critical to accomplish. Pour your efforts into that one thing until you reach your goal. Then, if you’ve got time, move to the less important. This week I focused on Dragons Never Lie with Feral Hunger following close behind. Both of them need to be complete and off to my editors as soon as possible. Shift the Night will be the next novella on the list. It’s rare for me to contract a cover artist before the book is complete, but I fell in love with the design the moment I saw it.
We’re winding down to the last few weeks of the quarter. It seems August through December will be primarily focused on closing out two of my longest running open series. I have some fun stuff on the horizon, but eye on target gets me through the quarter. 🙂 One book. One page. One paragraph at a time. 😀
Here’s where I stand in my Round of Words in 80 Days goals:
Goals this week:
- Dragons Never Lie: 2 chapters done by next Wednesday – A little behind on this one. I’m finishing up Chapter One tonight so I can be ready to roll.
- Feral Hunger Edits and new content: I’m doing this one by page count. My goal is to get through chapter two by next Wednesday. With the kids back in school, it’s been much easier to concentrate. – Chapter one finished up today. Tomorrow chapter two begins.
- Voodoo Carnival: Keeping the same goal and continue at 500 words a day (equates to a scene every couple of days or a chapter every four or so). It’s working for me, and anything working is going to stay that way. LOL. Until it’s not. 😉 – Steady as she goes. My soundtrack is helping.
- Edits on Last Rites: Get halfway through the book this weekend.– Working through this one.
- Edits on To Chase a Werewolf: Chapter one this weekend. – My CP has it in hand.
- First Chapter’s Edits of Carter’s Legacy in preparation for Harlequin’s So You Think You Can Write contest. – Goal for Sunday evening.
- Edits for a Critique Partner: I’m helping Cynnara with Teaching the Male. The coverart for this beauty is fantastic! I can’t wait until she can show you guys!
Workshops I’m attending this month:
- Writing the New American Cowboy- Bikers 101: The Biker one has already started and I’m LOVING IT! – I have some lessons to catch up on today/tonight. Next week will be hectic.
- Steampunk American Style: Steampunk starts Monday. Looking forward to it.
Cool things that happened since Wednesday:
- Finalized my coverart for Shift the Night (my second self-pub book). Check out the post here.
- Red Velvet Christmas: Hidden Confection was accepted by my publisher for a holiday release. Check out the post here.
- My post at Romance Lives Forever ran headline in three online newsletters. The retweets were phenomenal. *Edited: I was sent two more online papers where my post headlined. Wow*
- I’m going to be a 4th Quarter Sponsor for #ROW80! I hope to do right by you guys and give back to the community that keeps me going. What kinds of articles do you guys want during the next quarter? Anything you want expanded on? Do motivational blog posts help? Love some feedback.
I’m part of a fantastic group called A Round of Words in 80 Days, and if you’d like to see how everyone else is doing, check out the list HERE.
Would you like to be a part of our writing challenge? Check out the rules HERE.