The first and second quarters were full with Thunder and Roses. It was my first (and likely my last, collaboration or no) 100k novel. I learned a lot of lessons with that baby. While I still love the story, it’ll be another week or two before I can even look at it. The first quarter had a fantastic sale of Haunting Melody St. Claire to Ellora’s Cave Publishing. Its release on May 31st was awesome and wonderful. The reviews and bestseller numbers were too amazing for words. June was release month for an anthology under another penname. Totally awesome! There’s just something about the smell of a new print book in your hands. 😀
We’re in the second half of the year and a new Round of Words in 80 days has begun. July’s Camp NaNoWriMo is also in full swing. There are a thousand submission calls, writing challenges, summer events, and author workshops. Prioritizing means I won’t get overwhelmed. Since we’re in the middle of summer break, I have to make a few changes to my writing schedule.
My new writing week:
Admin work. Websites. Blogs. Financial documents. All the boring and drab stuff.
Wake-up to 1700 Writing on primary project
1900-2200 Writing on novella
Of course I break for lunch and go do things with the kids. We’ll go swimming or watch a show together. Usually in the evenings. I’m very firm on the writing til 1700 part. If I don’t respect my writing day, who will?
When I wake up – 1700 if I’m behind on the primary project
Otherwise, it’s freewrite with no set schedule so I can spend time with my family as needed. I miss them as much as they miss me, and trust me, by Saturday I’m ready to kill off all my characters. We need the break. 🙂
- Finish Voodoo Carnival novella for Carina Halloween submission* (missed the date for the submission. 😦 )
- After Voodoo Carnival, move into finishing Silver Tongue Devils novella
Write and submit short story for Cleis Press call (maybe both calls I’m interested in, if my freewrite weekends go well :D)*Private Cowboy: done and submitted 15 July
- Spirit Lake (Alaskan Shaman series)* – This book is my NaNoWriMo goal. 🙂
Thunder and Roses edits, synopsis, and submission**done and submitted 21 July
- Feral Hunger edits, synopsis, and submission
- Whatever I didn’t finish in July
- Supersekritproject pulp novel (freewrite weekends)***
- Dark Talisman 2 edits, beta read, formatted, packaged up for publication**
- Kitchen Witch Red Velvet novella for Christmas* – Due to my editor by September 1st
- Chapter One polished up and edited within an inch of its life on SYTYCW contest for Harlequin
- Submit Chapter One on SYTYCW contest for Harlequin*
- Kitchen Witch vampire novella
- Yeah, like I NEED another project here, but EC does have a 2014 Submission call*** I want to hit up…
Ditter Kellen and I mapped our writing schedule (always fluid) to the end of the summer. I’m not sure what we’ll have planned for the fall. She’s a very busy lady. This list will likely change often throughout the ROW80.
Can I do it? Who knows! One word at a time. I’ll tell you by the end of July. 😀xoxo, Dawn
* Books that have specific deadline
** Books with Ditter Kellen
***Under another penname