I am a huge fan of motivational writing events. National Novel Writing Month (and its many other forms), A Round of Words in 80 Days (set your own goal for a quarter), and Harlequin’s So You Think You Can Write series (submissions of the first chapter happen in September!) are a few of my favorites. There’s a lot of negativity in our writing world. It is so important, so very important, to surround yourself with positives. Think positively, learn all you can, apply it to your own writing, and Write No Matter What. Kind of my motto, I guess.
So where will I be in July?
July begins the National Novel Writing Month event called Camp NaNoWriMo. It lasts thirty days. You set your own writing goals (I’m at 50k. It’s a good number for me) and you’re placed in a “camp” room with several others. It’s cool, motivating, and there are a ton of pluses.
- You get to meet people writing from all over the world.
- With a small group, it’s easy to keep each other motivated.
- The NaNoWriMo forums are always packed with helpful hints, tips, and motivations
- The Office of Letters and Light (NaNoWriMo’s non-profit peeps) send out motivational emails from some of your favorite authors.
- What else are you going to do in July?
July also begins the new round of something called A Round of Words in 80 Days.
From the site:
- We have 4 rounds a year, each running 80 days.
- Your goal can be anything you like as long as it is measurable (e.g. number of words/pages, specified amount of time to spend on writing per day/week, number of pages edited, etc.
- Once you have settled on a goal, you write it up on your blog (yes, you must have one) and link to it on the Goals Linky for the Round, which will be posted on the ROW80 Blog.
- If your goal changes before the end of the 80 days, simply write up a new goals post and link to it on the latest check-in day.
- We have check-ins twice a week on Wednesday and Sundays where you will update us the same way (e.g. write up a blog post of your progress and link to it on that day’s linky).
- On Twitter we use a hashtag of #ROW80 if you wanna come hang out. Or if you’re more into Facebook, you can find that here.
- And if you happen to find us after a round has begun, just write up your goals post and hop on in whenever. We’re a friendly bunch.
Be sure to grab the ROW80 badge from the sidebar on the ROW80 Blog.
My goals for Round of Words is three novels, two novellas, and the first chapter for the SYTYCW contest submitted by the end of September. Two of these novels are already ALMOST DONE, so please don’t think it’s all new content. I’m simply polishing them up for submission. 😀
My goal for CampNaNoWriMo is finishing up Raven’s Daughter. Since Thunder and Roses is on the last chapter before beta reading frenzy begins, I’m not sure what the writing partner and I will be doing in the coming weeks. So anything she and I work on together will come first, followed by RD.
If you’d like to join me in any one of these events, give me a shout out. I’ll be happy to drop by your blog, facebook page, and/or twitter to give you love and support during the writing frenzy!
See you in July!