With American Thanksgiving thrown in the mix, a good number of writers will be stretched thin.
Mario Vargas Llosa once said:
“Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.”
I wonder if he would have felt that way had twitter and instant messenger been a part of life in the 1930’s. Technology makes support networks simple to create, manage, and interact with.
- Set up a list on facebook of all those friends who are NaNo participants.
- Find others on twitter using the hashtag search of #NaNoWriMo, #NaNo, or follow @NaNoWordSprints.
- Google Docs: There are people who are writing their NaNo projects in realtime using Google docs.
- Instant Messenger (IM): Hook up with other NaNo peeps via IM (Yahoo, MSN, Skype, etc), where you and a group of friends throw massive support to one another in realtime conversations.
If you check out the NaNoWriMo forum, you’ll find regional sponsors, writing buddy requests, word wars, and the ever-terrifying Day One Ridiculous Goals (DORG). Can you believe that several people have actually pledged to write 50K words on Day One? I won’t even get into the near impossibility of that goal, and I definitely wouldn’t bet a cookie-free year as a consequence of failure. *shudder*
I write romance, so there are a couple of sites I haunt:
NaNoWriMo Forum topics of interest (Freeware caution: always scan free downloads of anything for viruses and malicious intent.):
- Word War Sprints, etc.
- Romance Writer’s Forum with Twitter, Facebook, and website links
- Sponsor offers (includes FREE software!)
- Lynn Viehl/S.L. Viehl of Darkyn and Stardoc. Her site is FULL of encouraging and helpful writerly advice.
- NaNoFiMo: National Novel Finishing Month has a ton of helpful documents, excel sheets, word count trackers, etc. (Edited to update with a new link)
- Writer’s Digest article on why you should participate in NaNoWriMo.
- Resource links to various NaNo articles.
NaNo Prep 2011:
- NaNo Prep 1: Story Ideas and NaNoWriMo site account settings
- NaNo Prep 2: Word Tracking and Outline Creation
- NaNo Prep 3: Word Sprints, IM, Chats, and More